Foglight Rules Email Alerts

Can anyone point me to a tutorial to set up an email notification whenever a SQL Server Agent Job fails? 

What I've done thus far:

Added a variable for my email address (copied DBADMIN and changed the email from the main foglight distro list to a more centralized distro list - variable = DBDEV). 
Located the Rule: DBSS - Jobs Failed
Loaded the Rules Editor for this rule
Under Conditions & Actions/Email Notification & Recovery Actions
- Added EmailAction (Entering)
- Changed mail.recipient to DBDEV Registry Variable
- Saved

When I started receiving hundreds of blank emails (although Solarwinds is not reporting job failures), I removed the Entering EmailAction and added an Exiting EmailAction identical to the Entering one I deleted. I have the same result (hundreds of blank emails). 

Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong? Thanks

Parents Reply
  • Thanks for the reply. Now that I have that figured out (with your help), let me ask... is there a way to set different email notification settings for the same alarm? It would appear that our dba who set up Foglight is only responsible for backups and other high level dba events; they excluded every job failure except the ones dealing with backups. Ideally, I'd like to set up a different alarm (and email notification) that will allow me to monitor jobs a through z while the other dba only sees alerts for jobs a, b, and c. Is this possible?

Children