This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Upgrade from AppAssure 5.4.3.106 to Rapid Recovery 6.0.2 on DL1000 (backup and replication)

I got my last three sets of backup/replication DL 1000 units (six total servers for three separate clients) earlier this year, when RapidRecovery was probably already in the process of replacing AppAssure. Upgrades are included as part of my AppAssure support contract. Now I see that the upgrade to RapidRecovery is available and at level 6.0.2.144. While Dell provides what I can only assume are sound download & upgrade instructions, I would prefer to hear a real-world experience of the process from someone that has tried it--things like these:

• Would you recommend this upgrade or are there reasons I should avoid it or wait for some further RapidRecovery service pack?
  • How well did the upgrade go?
  • Were there surprises, such as auto-reboots of servers running the Agent?
  • How long did it take?
  • How is performance afterwards?
  • Does the UI change much? For the better? For the worse?
  • Are there omissions in the Dell documentation that led to any panic moments or inference-based steps?
  • Was there any post-upgrade reconfiguration necessary?
  • Is there any recommended post-upgrade cleanup?

If not, I guess I may be the guinea pig here.

Parents
  • Thank you, Tim. Everything is working like a charm, and the upgrade went perfectly. But the documentation regarding the upgrade from AppAssure to RapidRecovery left me wondering how to proceed and what to expect in a couple of places. Tudor replied to my other post where I asked an even more basic question: without prior experience, how am I to determine from the downloads page that I should run just the RUU for the DL appliance? I post this note here so that perhaps you can give dev a heads' up on this related documentation issue.

This is my first round of upgrades, since we just began using AppAssure earlier this year, and although all the actual upgrade files were there on the download page, I could not find anything that directed me to which one(s) I would actually need to run. I came kind of close to just jumping in and running the regular upgrade; however, I recalled something from a contact with support shortly after my initial installation of AppAssure that gave me pause: the support person had said something about the RapidRecovery upgrade being available, but not the appliance-specific package.

Accordingly, I posted the question, and Tudor replied with notes on what I needed. But I definitely think it would have been be helpful to have an easily-accessible upgrade overview document on the download page. Had I not had that prior contact with support, I might have just gone directly to the standalone (non-appliance) upgrade.
  • Thank you, Tim. Everything is working like a charm, and the upgrade went perfectly. But the documentation regarding the upgrade from AppAssure to RapidRecovery left me wondering how to proceed and what to expect in a couple of places. Tudor replied to my other post where I asked an even more basic question: without prior experience, how am I to determine from the downloads page that I should run just the RUU for the DL appliance? I post this note here so that perhaps you can give dev a heads' up on this related documentation issue.

This is my first round of upgrades, since we just began using AppAssure earlier this year, and although all the actual upgrade files were there on the download page, I could not find anything that directed me to which one(s) I would actually need to run. I came kind of close to just jumping in and running the regular upgrade; however, I recalled something from a contact with support shortly after my initial installation of AppAssure that gave me pause: the support person had said something about the RapidRecovery upgrade being available, but not the appliance-specific package.

Accordingly, I posted the question, and Tudor replied with notes on what I needed. But I definitely think it would have been be helpful to have an easily-accessible upgrade overview document on the download page. Had I not had that prior contact with support, I might have just gone directly to the standalone (non-appliance) upgrade.
Children
No Data