This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Best way to get quickly access about 300gb of data? mount drag/drop too slow

I've setup a cross country replication (from West coast core to East coast core) of 4 machines.  (physical machines NOT virtual).  I'm testing Virtual Standby as a method of booting up one of the machines so I can get to the Exchange EDB's on cutover night.  There is about 300gb between 2 EDBs.  I'll need "quick" access to that data so I can import the mailboxes into my East enviroment.  I can't wait 5-6 hours to mount the drive and copy the data out.  

Theory is, I boot up the Virtual Standby, and can much more quickly get to the data.  BUT I had a new theory; why can't I mount the VMDK as a drive on another VM.  DONE.  I tried that and Windows didn't like the drive.  "Invalid" or something like that. 

So, my question; what are the methods to quickly get to backed up data? (when it's about 300+GB)  simple file restores are quick, 300gb is NOT quick when using traditional mount and drag/drop.

thanks!

Parents
  • Tudor.Popescu is extremely inaccurate and the Rapid Recovery Development Team will back me here... While IOPS are a factor, its an EXTREMELY small factor due to how RR's repositories handle data. My company specializes in provided customers the best possible RPO/RTO available for their buck, down to virtually seconds for some customers, and i can tell you AppAssure isn't capable of this by a long shot.

Rapid Recovery has an approximate max throughput max of around 125mbps on a repository, and mind you this is on a system that is capable of writing at multiple GBps to Long Term Archive SSD's. You can throw the fastest disks in the world at Rapid Recovery and it will not be able to use it. The average 12 SATA Disk system or the DL4000 appliance will recovery at approximately 30MBps and is pretty much maxed at that. While some may be okay with this, others may have problems with this speed.

It's highly suggested Virtual Standby be used, or the proper recovery process of BMR/EXPORT the Operating System Disks, and then live recover the remaining disks, or look for a backup product without Rapid Recoveries limitations.

As for your virtual standby solution Jordanl, you can technically do what you're trying to do, just keep in mind that it will likely screw up your Rapid Recovery virtual standby instance.

• Tudor.Popescu is extremely inaccurate and the Rapid Recovery Development Team will back me here... While IOPS are a factor, its an EXTREMELY small factor due to how RR's repositories handle data. My company specializes in provided customers the best possible RPO/RTO available for their buck, down to virtually seconds for some customers, and i can tell you AppAssure isn't capable of this by a long shot.

Rapid Recovery has an approximate max throughput max of around 125mbps on a repository, and mind you this is on a system that is capable of writing at multiple GBps to Long Term Archive SSD's. You can throw the fastest disks in the world at Rapid Recovery and it will not be able to use it. The average 12 SATA Disk system or the DL4000 appliance will recovery at approximately 30MBps and is pretty much maxed at that. While some may be okay with this, others may have problems with this speed.

It's highly suggested Virtual Standby be used, or the proper recovery process of BMR/EXPORT the Operating System Disks, and then live recover the remaining disks, or look for a backup product without Rapid Recoveries limitations.

As for your virtual standby solution Jordanl, you can technically do what you're trying to do, just keep in mind that it will likely screw up your Rapid Recovery virtual standby instance.

Children
No Data