This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Best way to get quickly access about 300gb of data? mount drag/drop too slow

I've setup a cross country replication (from West coast core to East coast core) of 4 machines.  (physical machines NOT virtual).  I'm testing Virtual Standby as a method of booting up one of the machines so I can get to the Exchange EDB's on cutover night.  There is about 300gb between 2 EDBs.  I'll need "quick" access to that data so I can import the mailboxes into my East enviroment.  I can't wait 5-6 hours to mount the drive and copy the data out.  

Theory is, I boot up the Virtual Standby, and can much more quickly get to the data.  BUT I had a new theory; why can't I mount the VMDK as a drive on another VM.  DONE.  I tried that and Windows didn't like the drive.  "Invalid" or something like that. 

So, my question; what are the methods to quickly get to backed up data? (when it's about 300+GB)  simple file restores are quick, 300gb is NOT quick when using traditional mount and drag/drop.

thanks!

Parents
  • It would not allow you to restore to the System volume. However, it is not uncommon to have valuable data spread over multiple disks :) . Creating a partition 300GB or larger and using it for restore would do, though. Obviously everything on that partition will be wiped out.

• It would not allow you to restore to the System volume. However, it is not uncommon to have valuable data spread over multiple disks :) . Creating a partition 300GB or larger and using it for restore would do, though. Obviously everything on that partition will be wiped out.

Children
No Data