This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

SQL Recovery. You Want Me To Do What?

We have a small SQL DB that houses our document archive. The person that runs it made a mistake and erased some data so they asked me if I could recover it.

I followed along here until about 4:10 in-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WoA3SaL8s9U&feature=youtu.be

At this point he has his backup DB and his original both mounted and then starts blathering about "just use some transactional SQL statements here or any third party tool to sync them"

Seriously? This is the recovery process for a DB? Just start Googling for some third party apps?

Please tell me I am missing something. Can't I just delete the original and use the backup copy?

Parents
  • If you want a granular restore of tables/entries in the DB, then you need to use SQL transact statements. If you want to replace the entire DB, stop SQL, then just copy the DB from the mounted RP and replace both the MDF and LDF on the production server. I'm a big fan of renaming the original DB files on the prod server and then copying the backups into place. Then start SQL up. SQL should see the DB and load it exactly as it was at the time of backup. Restore finished.

• Did you watch the video? They rename and copy the RP DB and it's logs directly into SQL and attach them. Couldn't you just rename the originals to _old (or whatever) and then attach the RP ones and be done?

• I honestly didn't watch the video. I'm telling you how I would do it.

1. Stop SQL
    2. Copy the DB from the RP into place overwriting the MDF and LDF
    3. Start SQL

That's a full replace of the DB and you're back up and running without any hassle inside SQL. It's the fastest simplest way to restore the entire DB back to what it was.

• So almost strictly a folder and file level restore then once SQL is stopped if I understand you.

Reply Children
No Data