This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Boot From Backup

Is this on the horizon at all because if it's possible it really should be. Booting a VM from a backup image is pretty standard now and it would be a HUGE leap forward.

Parents
  • It seems to me like the way the repo functions currently is basic, it can not perform fairly easy functions and the layout seems to be a mess. Even if it could boot from the repo, I think a 20 hour export would be better.

But seriously, if the server is critical it should be setup for continuous export. If space is an issue, bring it to the exec's and let them decide. If they say no to a budget for increasing space, then when it takes 20 hours, it is on them.

Never even tried this but one idea maybe to export only critical drives (but no data drives) so at least the machine can boot, then perform live recovery of the data drives

I don't work for quest, so this is all my own thoughts. Someone else may have better insight
  • It seems to me like the way the repo functions currently is basic, it can not perform fairly easy functions and the layout seems to be a mess. Even if it could boot from the repo, I think a 20 hour export would be better.

But seriously, if the server is critical it should be setup for continuous export. If space is an issue, bring it to the exec's and let them decide. If they say no to a budget for increasing space, then when it takes 20 hours, it is on them.

Never even tried this but one idea maybe to export only critical drives (but no data drives) so at least the machine can boot, then perform live recovery of the data drives

I don't work for quest, so this is all my own thoughts. Someone else may have better insight
Children
No Data