This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

VM Export Failing "File or folder already exists"

Hi all,

I've been demoing the rapid recovery software for a couple weeks now and the one issue that has been absolutely killing me is setting up a virtual standby.  I can create the initial image with no issue and am able to work on the VM, but it continually fails doing the exports when I push a snapshot giving the following error:

Task 'Create virtual machine' failed: Cannot complete the operation because the file or folder /vmfs/volumes/5911bb9b-e8cc1f68-050b-2c768a4f1954/ALMO-EXCHANGE/ALMO-EXCHANGE.vmx already exists. For more details open events on ESXi host/vCenter

I can't seem to find anything on this so any help would be amazing!  Thanks in advance!

Parents
  • I may have overstated a bit. Once the initial one-time export is complete I was able to power on the VM and log in to confirm that it was working.

This has definitely given me a lot of information to work with, but also leads me to a few questions.

When we do a virtual standby, assuming we disable DRS for it, are we able to power on the VM at all without messing anything up? The scenario that was brought to me by a coworker was what happens if our physical device dies so we have to run off the VS and then we get the physical device working again, will there be issues with the export after that?

As I really had nothing to go off of one thing I tried was renaming the .vmx file to .vmx.old, I pushed a snapshot again and it seems like the export is running. Did I just cause myself more issues doing this?
  • I may have overstated a bit. Once the initial one-time export is complete I was able to power on the VM and log in to confirm that it was working.

This has definitely given me a lot of information to work with, but also leads me to a few questions.

When we do a virtual standby, assuming we disable DRS for it, are we able to power on the VM at all without messing anything up? The scenario that was brought to me by a coworker was what happens if our physical device dies so we have to run off the VS and then we get the physical device working again, will there be issues with the export after that?

As I really had nothing to go off of one thing I tried was renaming the .vmx file to .vmx.old, I pushed a snapshot again and it seems like the export is running. Did I just cause myself more issues doing this?
Children
No Data