This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Multiple transport modes? SAN transport mode with Agent?

I am re-configuring our server and now have the option to do Agent-less on the majority of our VMs. Our Core is a physical box, and has 10gbE access to one of our NASes on the san, but not the other, so some VMs cannot be transported over that method.

My question is two fold: Can SAN be used for Agents as well as Agent-less? IE our Exchange and SQL servers will want to remain Agent for the Log Truncation - can they still take advantage of SAN transport? And that brings up - can one core do both, on a per-vm basis or is it all or nothing? IE 90% of our VMs are accessible via 10gbE to our physical core, but several are not (local storage on ESXi hosts). 

Ideally we'd have a mix of Agent and Agent-less, using SAN Transport unless they're on an unreachable datastore and then they'd use LAN NBD. Is there any way to tell which vms are using which policy, other than opening the VM and looking at NIC traffic during a backup?

Parents
  • That is a perfect response, thank you very much for your active help today! I'm going to implement these changes shortly. It will be nice to have our backups utilizing our (very small) 10gbE network rather than coming out over our 1gb LAN interfaces!
  • That is a perfect response, thank you very much for your active help today! I'm going to implement these changes shortly. It will be nice to have our backups utilizing our (very small) 10gbE network rather than coming out over our 1gb LAN interfaces!
Children
No Data