This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Upgrade to 6.1.x from 5.4.3. What is the current best / safe practice with rollback?

I realise that the documents simply state you can upgrade as long as the core server meets certain criteria yada yada.

However i'm also aware that certain people (Tudor or Anton?) have in the past recommended other safer ways to upgrade. I require a way to be as safe as possible with the upgrade, it's pretty hard to have a backup of your 30TB repository so that you can roll back. I also don't have spare hardware capacity to do a replicated migration.

It used to be something along the lines of

backup the registry keys.
note config of your repositories
stop the core
remove repositories from registry
remove agents from registry?
Upgrade
Check it seems ok
stop core
import repository / agent registry keys....
start core and hope
Between 5.3 & 5.4 it needed to upgrade the repository, it would appear that 5.4 > 6.1 doesn't need to do that. So am I safe in retaining the registry keys (or even an image backup of the system & application drive (not repositories) and performing the upgrade.

If this fails, can I revert to 5.4 with the repository already defined and use that as my rollback

What happens to the dedupe cache, i'm assuming that this is retained and not lost.

Also, what are the latest patches available for 6.1.1 that we really should install?

Sorry for lots of questions, but I want to ensure that this is as seamless and safe as possible before we progress or get approval.

Parents
  • Thanks Tudor,

Glad you mentioned the repository upgrade, didn't see that in the guide but do from 5.3 to 5.4. Let's me know to increase my outage window.

Now, realise you can't give a definitive answer, but how long do you suspect a repository check / upgrade to take for a 30TB repository? System isn't low on resources under normal operations

Thanks
  • Thanks Tudor,

Glad you mentioned the repository upgrade, didn't see that in the guide but do from 5.3 to 5.4. Let's me know to increase my outage window.

Now, realise you can't give a definitive answer, but how long do you suspect a repository check / upgrade to take for a 30TB repository? System isn't low on resources under normal operations

Thanks
Children
No Data