This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Network Performance Issues

After a recent switch issue that caused my exported VM's to fail I have become aware of what seems to be a RR only problem with network speed.

While exporting base images (and I assume snapshots) I am experiencing what I would call "bursting". That is to say a data/pause/data/pause condition that is slowing the entire process down. This can be seen both visually in the status window as alternating between a progress bar and the

//////////////////////////////

bar that you see while it is preparing something to move. The overall transfer times also indicate about 1/2 the transfer rate of sample data moved including from other backup software run on the same network.

I have dropped the firewalls and killed the firewall service. I have added the machines and users to each other at full permissions. This is a dedicated fiber network and Windows 2012 servers with RAID6 arrays.

For reference it took me 12 hours to move a 1.17TB base using RR. About twice as long as similarly sized moves across the same network.

Parents
  • I looked at Altaro, and I can't find anything publicly facing (yet) that states their block sizes, however Symantec still recommends 64k, which I believe is their default, which I certainly could be wrong there. That is one huge factor there, as if we are comparing factors RR may have to read 2x, 4x, 8x the amount of blocks to restore the same file potentially.

The only other question I would have is if we are comparing apples to apples and if the transports are the same when you are testing these (I only mention it as 2x as fast I agree is nothing to just bat an eye at). For an example if this was Altaro and they are hypervisor aware and you had it running on a VMware VM you might be taking advantage of HotAdd, who knows. However if RR was on a physical then you wouldn't have had that option (but you could do the aforementioned LAN Free SAN option). Without knowing the exact specifics its hard to do a 1v1 to comparison. However if you were to call in and say I have 1 TB to restore into a virtual platform and asked out long it would take, I'd ballpark 10-16 hours depending on the environment.

Restore speeds are a common theme, across most every DP product. Certainly not disagreeing with you by any means, and not to say that they can't be improved upon, and that won't be. Having said that however, taking a look at the environment and making sure that you're getting the best 'bang for your buck' so to speak (LAN-Free SAN, HotAdd, networking) you do have support there to assist with that. Calling in and logging a case to validate your installation is something that I'd suggest if indeed you are concerned about the backups/restores/ functionality of the product.

On that note it's time to test some virtual exports for the other forum post my friend.
  • I looked at Altaro, and I can't find anything publicly facing (yet) that states their block sizes, however Symantec still recommends 64k, which I believe is their default, which I certainly could be wrong there. That is one huge factor there, as if we are comparing factors RR may have to read 2x, 4x, 8x the amount of blocks to restore the same file potentially.

The only other question I would have is if we are comparing apples to apples and if the transports are the same when you are testing these (I only mention it as 2x as fast I agree is nothing to just bat an eye at). For an example if this was Altaro and they are hypervisor aware and you had it running on a VMware VM you might be taking advantage of HotAdd, who knows. However if RR was on a physical then you wouldn't have had that option (but you could do the aforementioned LAN Free SAN option). Without knowing the exact specifics its hard to do a 1v1 to comparison. However if you were to call in and say I have 1 TB to restore into a virtual platform and asked out long it would take, I'd ballpark 10-16 hours depending on the environment.

Restore speeds are a common theme, across most every DP product. Certainly not disagreeing with you by any means, and not to say that they can't be improved upon, and that won't be. Having said that however, taking a look at the environment and making sure that you're getting the best 'bang for your buck' so to speak (LAN-Free SAN, HotAdd, networking) you do have support there to assist with that. Calling in and logging a case to validate your installation is something that I'd suggest if indeed you are concerned about the backups/restores/ functionality of the product.

On that note it's time to test some virtual exports for the other forum post my friend.
Children
No Data