This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Live DB Recovery

Hi All,

We have a 2008r2 server on which a PSQL DB and the application that uses it coexists on the same non O/S partition. It is in use 24/7/365.

Is it reasonable to believe that a "live recovery" of this partition would work as advertised in the event that it was compromised? That is to say recover it on the fly while the users continued unaware?

I would agree that testing would be beneficial but short of building a lab and purchasing additional licenses it's just not practical.

Thanks In Advance

Parents
  • Hi Scashman,

There appears to be no provision for a testing license or even a grace period but I have contacted the vendor. I do export a VM of this machine and the DB will only run if I validate the license online (thus disabling our live server).

I won't pretend to understand the intricacies of SQL vs PSQL but it appears that PSQL is "simpler" for lack of a better term. For example the RR backup does not treat it like our SQL machine. It just makes a backup with no provisions for truncating or attaching or any mention of it at all. Nor does our other backup titles for that matter.

It would be neat to try and I strongly suspect it would but I was hoping someone would know from experience. I would think if it can handle a disaster like MS Exchange on the fly it could do this as well but it's a guess.
  • Hi Scashman,

There appears to be no provision for a testing license or even a grace period but I have contacted the vendor. I do export a VM of this machine and the DB will only run if I validate the license online (thus disabling our live server).

I won't pretend to understand the intricacies of SQL vs PSQL but it appears that PSQL is "simpler" for lack of a better term. For example the RR backup does not treat it like our SQL machine. It just makes a backup with no provisions for truncating or attaching or any mention of it at all. Nor does our other backup titles for that matter.

It would be neat to try and I strongly suspect it would but I was hoping someone would know from experience. I would think if it can handle a disaster like MS Exchange on the fly it could do this as well but it's a guess.
Children
No Data