This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Can I create a repository in the cloud?

We are looking to move our storage to the cloud and use our sans strictly for vm's, datastores and snapshots.

We are currently running Appassure 5.4.3 but can upgrade to Rapid Recovery if necessary.

I would like to know if it is possbile to create a repository in the cloud (AWS Simple Storage Solution) and direct our backups there.

Or a different cloud storage solution.

Parents
  • It really depends on how much data you are trying to store in the cloud and what your change rate is per day. I have a 4 TB repository on an Azure VM and that costs me about $100 per month. There is a Rapid Recovery VM template that you can purchase which comes with everything you need to configure the cloud VM (minus the license, you just use the same one for your local core on it). The benefit of a core in the cloud is that you can set a retention policy and minimize the total amount of storage you use.

With archiving there is no way to set a retention policy. If you configure incremental archiving the core simply appends the latest data to the archive each time it runs. There is no way to delete data from the archive without deleting the entire archive. So you have to manually manage the archive data and to clean up that data you have to delete the entire archive set and archive a new set of data.
  • It really depends on how much data you are trying to store in the cloud and what your change rate is per day. I have a 4 TB repository on an Azure VM and that costs me about $100 per month. There is a Rapid Recovery VM template that you can purchase which comes with everything you need to configure the cloud VM (minus the license, you just use the same one for your local core on it). The benefit of a core in the cloud is that you can set a retention policy and minimize the total amount of storage you use.

With archiving there is no way to set a retention policy. If you configure incremental archiving the core simply appends the latest data to the archive each time it runs. There is no way to delete data from the archive without deleting the entire archive. So you have to manually manage the archive data and to clean up that data you have to delete the entire archive set and archive a new set of data.
Children
No Data