This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Confused on best strategy for backing up hyper-v environment

What is the best strategy for protecting a hyper-v environment? Do I protect both the host and the individual VM's on that host? Do I protect the host only and not the individual VM's? Or do I just protect the VM's and not the host? I have 1 physical server to be protected and 4 physical host servers with 9 VM's spread across them. We are installing a 10 TB DL4300 and Rapid Recovery 6.1

• Hi Les,

My preferred method is to go with agentless protection. More information is found here: documents.software.dell.com/.../understanding-rapid-snap-for-virtual. This still allows you granular recovery from the volume images with each VM.

You can protect the Hyper-V VMs and host if choose too. The most common reason to do this is to backup the system volume/OS volume of the physical host. In that case you'll install the agent software and protect it, but if you protect the host I recommend that you avoid protecting the volumes that store the VMs VHDs as it may introduce some VSS complications. You'll then need to install the agent on all VMs and protect them individually.

I hope this information helps. With 4 physical hosts in your environment, you can give both options a try and see which one you prefer and find best suited for you.