This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

RR 6.1 and Virtual Standby options for Fixed Disks

Currently running RR 6.1 at a couple of sites.  Using the Virtual Standby feature at one of them I noticed that when bringing the VM online in Hyper'V, the VM is using dynamic disks with a differencing disk.

I would prefer in some (if not all scenarios) to have fixed disks in use with no differencing disk.  Is this an option or is the only way to accomplish this a merge of the vhdx files after bringing the standby onlilne?

Target Hyper-V in this example is 2016.

Hope this was clear.  Thanks for any info.

Parents
  • Hi staff:
    I am sorry to say that the differencing disk is needed in the export process. The last phase of the export attempts to make the exported VM bootable and accommodate for the different (virtual) hardware in the case of p2v exports these changes are entered in the differencing disk. Indeed, merging the differencing disk with the main vhd(x) is a good idea if a virtual export is to be used for a longer time as a production machine.

• Hi staff:
    I am sorry to say that the differencing disk is needed in the export process. The last phase of the export attempts to make the exported VM bootable and accommodate for the different (virtual) hardware in the case of p2v exports these changes are entered in the differencing disk. Indeed, merging the differencing disk with the main vhd(x) is a good idea if a virtual export is to be used for a longer time as a production machine.

Children
No Data