This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

See SQL instance when SQL alias in use

Hi there,

Switching our SharePoint backups from AvePoint over to AppAssure, which has been doing a great job of -well, everything other than SharePoint in our environment! But it means I'm a newby to AppAssure, and the experienced staff member is away crook.  

Issue is the AppAssure console can't see the SQL instance on my SharePoint database server.  I'm suspecting the issue might be the alias on the database instance (so the DB is accessed remotely referenced by something other than the server name). I am also suspecting the 'non standard' ports used for the SharePoint SQL.  Both of these thing are MS best practice, but have cause hiccups in the past.

Any assistance appreciated!  Hoping to get DocRetriever working soon, but obviously won't be able to progress until DB is visible to backups.

Parents
  • Hi SEVAUGHN:

I am not sure that I fully understand your issue and as such I will digress in the hope that I may come up with something useful for you. First of all you mention AppAssure. The last version of AppAssure was 5.4.3. After that the product was renamed RapidRecovery. It is a possibility that you are running a version of AppAssure that does not "see" your SQL instance. The newest version of RapidRecovery is 6.1 and it supports SQL 2016. You can download it from here. Please note that although older agent software still works, it makes sense to update it as well, at least for critical servers (a reboot may be required).

Another possibility is that the SQL metadata is not collected. This may be caused by a number of factors, the most common being some WMI issue. The simplest attempt to fix this (although it won't be permanent) is to restart the Windows Instrumentation Service and its dependents, then refresh the agent on the Rapid Recovery core.

At last (but not at least) there were cases when the customers did not intend to have their SQL metadata collected and were provided by support with various patches and/or registry keys to achieve this. Newer Agent Software version have built in registry keys to achieve this. (The agent service needs to be restarted). Please check the image below.

Just to help troubleshooting, please note that AppAssure uses to use two services for the core (AppAssureCore and AppAssureMongod) and one service for the agent (AppAssureAgent) while Rapid Recovery uses more. Including the agent service, they are:

Name                     DisplayName
    ----                     -----------
    DellDRLogSvc             DellDRLogSvc
    RapidRecoveryAgent       Dell Data Protection | Rapid Recovery Agent Service
    RapidRecoveryCore        Dell Data Protection | Rapid Recovery Core Service
    RapidRecoveryMongod      Dell Data Protection | Rapid Recovery MongoDB service
    RapidRecoveryVMwareProxy Dell Data Protection | Rapid Recovery VMware Proxy Service

Hope that this helps.

• Hi SEVAUGHN:

I am not sure that I fully understand your issue and as such I will digress in the hope that I may come up with something useful for you. First of all you mention AppAssure. The last version of AppAssure was 5.4.3. After that the product was renamed RapidRecovery. It is a possibility that you are running a version of AppAssure that does not "see" your SQL instance. The newest version of RapidRecovery is 6.1 and it supports SQL 2016. You can download it from here. Please note that although older agent software still works, it makes sense to update it as well, at least for critical servers (a reboot may be required).

Another possibility is that the SQL metadata is not collected. This may be caused by a number of factors, the most common being some WMI issue. The simplest attempt to fix this (although it won't be permanent) is to restart the Windows Instrumentation Service and its dependents, then refresh the agent on the Rapid Recovery core.

At last (but not at least) there were cases when the customers did not intend to have their SQL metadata collected and were provided by support with various patches and/or registry keys to achieve this. Newer Agent Software version have built in registry keys to achieve this. (The agent service needs to be restarted). Please check the image below.

Just to help troubleshooting, please note that AppAssure uses to use two services for the core (AppAssureCore and AppAssureMongod) and one service for the agent (AppAssureAgent) while Rapid Recovery uses more. Including the agent service, they are:

Name                     DisplayName
    ----                     -----------
    DellDRLogSvc             DellDRLogSvc
    RapidRecoveryAgent       Dell Data Protection | Rapid Recovery Agent Service
    RapidRecoveryCore        Dell Data Protection | Rapid Recovery Core Service
    RapidRecoveryMongod      Dell Data Protection | Rapid Recovery MongoDB service
    RapidRecoveryVMwareProxy Dell Data Protection | Rapid Recovery VMware Proxy Service

Hope that this helps.

Children
No Data