This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

V Standby Export Fails After Interval Change

6.0.2.144 in trial mode protecting a 2008r2 machine and exporting to Ubuntu running Vbox 5.

Originally this went perfectly. The initial export was really long (over 24 hours) but the machine created and booted perfectly. It continued to update after every hourly snapshot and continued to boot when tested.

Last night I changed the protection interval from every hour to every 12 hours and the next scheduled export failed with this error-

Command '/usr/bin/vboxmanage --nologo createvm --register --name "VMNAME" --basefolder "LINUX DIRECTORY HERE" --ostype Windows200864 --uuid "a07c71d4-6a3a-43c9-8c0c-dfa7a461658d"' has failed with error '1' and returned the following error output: VBoxManage: error: Machine settings file 'LINUX DIRECTORY/VM_NAME.vbox' already exists VBoxManage: error: Details: code VBOXEFILEERROR (0x80bb0004), component MachineWrap, interface IMachine, callee nsISupports VBoxManage: error: Context: "CreateMachine(bstrSettingsFile.raw(), bstrName.raw(), ComSafeArrayAsInParam(groups), bstrOsTypeId.raw(), createFlags.raw(), machine.asOutParam())" at line 272 of file VBoxManageMisc.cpp
Cannot execute an export task
One or more errors occurred.

I researched this error and it was suggested that I delete or rename the vbox file which I did. I then forced an export which started and ran for a bit but eventually failed with this error-

Exception chain:

File at index 1 is not the parent of file at index 0 - Unique Ids don't match
The operation with VHD virtual disk failed
One or more errors occurred.

Any ideas what caused this or how to correct it?

Parents
  • So just to follow up for anyone who may find this in the future, this is a repeatable problem. If you change the backup interval the export will fail. At least to a Vbox host anyway, I have not tested to a Hyper V host. Plan your strategy (I.E.time schedule) accordingly in advance or you will be forced through the VERY time consuming "one time export" process again for each protected machine.

Also of note is the network stack is rebuilt every export. This means the network connection to the standby machine will be live. You need to manually turn it off before booting the standby VM or risk a network conflict. You also need to reinstall the guest additions ISO after every update.
  • So just to follow up for anyone who may find this in the future, this is a repeatable problem. If you change the backup interval the export will fail. At least to a Vbox host anyway, I have not tested to a Hyper V host. Plan your strategy (I.E.time schedule) accordingly in advance or you will be forced through the VERY time consuming "one time export" process again for each protected machine.

Also of note is the network stack is rebuilt every export. This means the network connection to the standby machine will be live. You need to manually turn it off before booting the standby VM or risk a network conflict. You also need to reinstall the guest additions ISO after every update.
Children
No Data