Keeping same email address as source domain

Hello!  Normally when doing migrations we are migrating source tenant to target tenant with primary email address changing to the target tenant.  We are faced with a different situation for this particular acquisition.  We want to create the users in the target ad domain and M365 tenant. Perform migration but instead of user using new target domain they will keep their source domain as their primary email address.  So during the whole process the user will basically keep their User@sourcedomain.com

Is this possible using Quest on Demand?

Parents
  • Email address, yes. The On Demand Migration Domain rewrite can do just what you need. All external out-bound messages will have the source email addresses.

The UPN that is a cut over operation. 

• What if the source and target domain is within same tenant.Do we need On demand migration Domain rewrite? Our requirement is also same but both source and target domains are within same tenant

• I am not sure I fully understand the scenario. By "both source and target domains are within same tenant", do you mean the users are migrated from one on-prem AD Domain to another, but will keep using the same M365 Tenant?
    If yes, really the only thing regarding M365 you need to care about is timing your Entra ID Connect right, so users don't get removed from M365 and properly re-connected to the new user when switching from one Domain to another.

• Thanks for the reply. You are right .Both domains will keep using same M365 tenant. I am planning to migrate the source user to target in an OU which does not sync through Entra while migrating the source anchor value (ms-Ds-ConsistencyGuid to target user and then move the source account to an OU which does not sync through Entra.

After that I will move the target user to an OU which syncs through Entra connect.Then , it should not create another account in cloud but will use the same account. Can you suggest

• Thanks for the reply. You are right .Both domains will keep using same M365 tenant. I am planning to migrate the source user to target in an OU which does not sync through Entra while migrating the source anchor value (ms-Ds-ConsistencyGuid to target user and then move the source account to an OU which does not sync through Entra.

After that I will move the target user to an OU which syncs through Entra connect.Then , it should not create another account in cloud but will use the same account. Can you suggest

Children
No Data