This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

What options are available to improve the performance of a backup?

When using Essentials to run a SharePoint Online backup, the process takes a long time.  Are there any known options that could be used to improve this?  Perhaps settings that can be modified or maybe changing backup properties (e.g., removing the "backup permissions" box), etc.?

Thank you.

• Hi Stephen,

You may refer to the KB article below for recommendations on how to improve migration and backup performance using Essentials:

metalogix.force.com/.../How-to-improve-migration-and-backup-performance​

Regards,

Cyrus

• Thank you for the link Cyrus.

Whilst the article has some good information, as does the document, I'm afraid we have already tried what is mentioned.

This may not be the best place for this, however I'd like to raise one thought about the article, which is, it doesn't make it clear what the relationship is between allocated memory and max threads for copy. Our understanding is that each thread can use up to 2GB of memory, therefore having too many threads can cause the application to run out of memory, which we've seen cause the application to crash.

May I ask, how can we submit feature requests? We'd like to request features such as bulk modification of project properties. The thought of updating ~50 projects to change a single property in all of them (to the same value) is daunting, which could be avoided with some added GUI features? We'd also like to request for a new backup type, such as "synthetic full", which creates a new full backup by using the data already stored locally and only downloading changes (as per a differential), which we'd hope would be much quicker and less of a strain on bandwidth!

Thank you.

• Hi Stephen,

Thank you for providing feedback to our existing KB article. Rest assured that we'll continue working to improve them.

With regards to feature requests, I suggest that you submit a new support case and make sure to include "Feature Requests" on the Subject. However, it will still be subject for approval and may or may not be included in the next product version release.

Regards,

Cyrus