How do I set up a virtualized environment on a rack server?

Hi everyone,

I recently acquired a rack server and I'm looking to set up a virtualized environment on it. I'm relatively new to virtualization and could use some guidance on where to start. Here are a few questions I have:

1. Software Recommendations: What are the best hypervisors or virtualization platforms for rack servers? I've heard of VMware, Hyper-V, and Proxmox, but I'm not sure which one to choose.

2. Hardware Requirements: Are there any specific hardware requirements or configurations I should be aware of before setting up virtualization? For instance, do I need to ensure my CPU supports VT-x/AMD-V?

3. Initial Setup: What are the basic steps for setting up a virtualized environment? Should I focus on installing the hypervisor first and then the guest operating systems, or is there a better approach?

4. Network Configuration: How should I configure networking for my virtual machines? Is it better to use bridged networking, NAT, or something else?

5. Resource Allocation: Any tips on how to allocate resources like CPU, memory, and storage to the virtual machines to ensure optimal performance?

6. Best Practices: Are there any best practices or common pitfalls I should be aware of when managing a virtualized environment on a rack server?

I'd really appreciate any advice, guides, or resources you can share to help me get started. Thanks in advance for your help!