This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Rule to alert on vmware performance data collection

Looking for a rule, with an email action, to alert when we stop receiving performance data from a fglam running the vmware performance agent.

If it misses 2 collection intervals (20 minutes each), send an email with the fglam and vcenter in the message.

Thanks.

• Hi Matt,

VMW Agent Messages rule reports VMware agent messages, including performance data collection issues. It should be available in VMware cartridge 5.6.16.x.

I understand this rule does not have the same conditions you asked (missing 2 collection intervals), but you could probably change the Behavior to fire if 2 out of 3 evaluations are true.

The messages should be sent to the vmadmin . See how to configure vmadmin variable in KB-90188

See below an example of the email notification:

Subject: VMW Agent Messages

Body:

[Fatal] 16.6.253.3::An unexpected issue occurred during data collection from the VirtualCenter. Please review your environment to ensure that data collection has resumed in a normal fashion. If there is a persistent problem or this message recurs regularly please contact Dell Support {Host Port=443, Host Name=16.6.253.3, Host URL=sdk} VMWAgentDataUpdate object name:Performance. The following URL can be used to obtain alarm details.

EDIT: You could also modify the rule to add the FglAM to it. Under Alarm Message, just add @foglight_monitoring_agent_name somewhere in the message.

Important: Disable the original rule as well, copy and rename it, so it persists after you upgrade the cartridge.

I hope this helps,

Gaston.

• There is also VMW Agent Data Updates rules that is scoped specifically for Performance & Inventory+Relations:

VMWAgentDataUpdate where (name = 'Performance Metrics') or (name = 'Inventory and Relations')

OOTB it is Time Driven Rule meaning it will keep alerting every 15 mins but I suppose it can be changed to Data driven if necessary and change the Behavior to trigger if 2 consecutive evaluations are true.

Thanks.
  • Hey Prasad,
    That rule indeed seems to be scoped just for performance and inventory data, but looks like alarm message would need more personalization.