This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

How do you run a custom sql script in a Foglight Rule?

We want to run the following query in a custom rule:

SELECT name, is_disabled, is_policy_checked
FROM sys.sql_logins
WHERE is_policy_checked = 0 AND is_disabled = 0
ORDER BY name;  

We want a alarm to fire if the condition is true on any of the instances in Foglight.

What is the best way to run a query within a rule?  Is it possible?

• I am setting up a simple UDC in one instance based on the query:
    SELECT count(*)
    FROM sys.sql_logins
    WHERE is_policy_checked = 0 AND is_disabled = 0

I followed your blog on setting up an alarm based on the output. My collection times are set for 60 minutes for testing purposes and the alarm has not triggered. When I look at the UDC results, there are 20 records and my check is #Login_Count# > 0. Any suggestions on how to troubleshoot why this might not be firing?
  • Hi,

In the rule editor, severity level, condition tab, drop down the "Run Condition Query" box and paste in #Login_Count# and execute. It should return a number.

Then try it with #Login_Count# > 0 and it should return true/false. That will help test the data/logic used in the rule.
  • with just #Login_Count#  I get an error

com.quest.nitro.service.sl.interfaces.scripting.ScriptingException: com.quest.nitro.service.sl.interfaces.scripting.ScriptUndefinedObservationException: undefined observation (present but empty observed data for topology object 832d37ef-6607-48d5-943f-4bcdbcdc694f) in query: Login_Count ----script start------ #Login_Count# ---- script end ------

with #Login_Count# > 0 I get

com.quest.nitro.service.scripting.errors.noisy.OptionalDataMissingScriptServerException: Login_Count (script: 95030b7713a5ad5288cd6278e7283971)

But I have a count as shown below:

• Hi,

Can you check the collection properties and post a screenshot?

From the error message, it looks like it's being stored as an observation, and that "Is Key" was set to true.

• A couple things to change. You'll need to delete the UDC - so have the query copied. Then re-create it, but provide a column name (login_count), type should be double and unit of measurement should be count.
  • Thank you Darren! Finally, a working UDC. Now I am waiting for it to generate an alarm. Are there any good tutorials on how to drag and drop a UDC into a dashboard?
  • They're buried pretty deep in the data model.. I couldn't show it all on one screen, but this will get you down to the collection, and then the metrics (eg. login_count) that you named when you setup the UDC will be draggable to a custom dashboard/report.

• I don't see the data tab on the Actions window. Do I need to set something to display it?