This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

optimize storage

Hi,

When I tried to optimize storage of any vm it gives an error: Failed  - [Unable to find free space to backup virtual disk(s) on Disk 2 (raid 6 - 2T) datastore. Free space 337233575936, required 2823940997120].

At this moment I have on that storage 314GB and the resize is to shrink a disk of 200GB to 2 Gb.

Why is not working?

Thanks

Parents
  • Hi Daniel,

The message does not look right, but the logic seems correct.
    The Optimizer will need at least 400 GB available, as during the resizing operation it will create a backup of your 200GB disk, then will try to resize the original 200GB one. This means that temporarily there will be two 200GB disks. Once the original is resized, and the OS starts correctly, the backup disk will be deleted.

I hope this helps.

• Hi Daniel,

The message does not look right, but the logic seems correct.
    The Optimizer will need at least 400 GB available, as during the resizing operation it will create a backup of your 200GB disk, then will try to resize the original 200GB one. This means that temporarily there will be two 200GB disks. Once the original is resized, and the OS starts correctly, the backup disk will be deleted.

I hope this helps.

Children
No Data